Fraser Valley Quilters'
November '98 BlockChristmas Star
Inspired by a Better Homes and
Gardens pattern in 501 Built Blocks
Block name, fabric selection, diagrams
2 - 5 and instructions are:
Copyright © 1998 by Marjiree
9" block (9 ½ " unfinished)
- Cut nine - 3 ½ " squares - ivory on ivory - (A)
- Cut ten - 2 1/8" squares - Christmas red, plain or print -
- Cut eight - 2 1/8" squares - Christmas green, plain or print
A 1/4" foot for your sewing machine will help maintain precision
scant 1/4" seams.
A light gray thread will blend into the seams of
contrasting light and dark fabrics.
Press each seam with a dry iron (to avoid stretching)
especially on bias seams. Use steam sparingly if necessary.
You will create: 5 Ivory squares each with 2 red corners
Ivory squares each with 2 green corners
Please TEST one Ivory Block before continuing. (Steps 1 - 4)
1. On the wrong side of each 2 1/8" square, draw a diagonal
line from point to point using a washable fabric pencil and ruler.
right sides together, line up one red square with the corner of one ivory
square. Sew on the diagonal line.
3. Press the points towards the corner of
the ivory corner.
4. From the right side of the fabric, the red corner
should match the ivory corner. Trim if necessary.
Unfold the red fabric
to create a square once again.
Turn to the wrong side and cut a 1/4" seam
on the corner side of the seam.
5. Repeat these steps for opposing corners
of each ivory square.
6. Join three top three squares. Press the vertical
seams to the left.
7. Join three middle squares. Press vertical seams to
8. Join three bottom squares. Press vertical seams to the
9. Join the top and middle rows, then the middle and bottom rows.
10. Press horizontal seams downward.
This page created on October 20, 1998 (Announcements ) (Gallery ) (Preemie Quilts
) (Block of the Month ) (Quilt Shows ) (Home Page )
1998, Fraser Valley Quilters' Guild