For those of you who saw "Memoirs of a Geisha," you will remember all of the lovely Kimonos. Look through your stash and find a grouping of four fabrics:
► two for the Kimono
► one for the Obi or sash and
► a complimentary colour for the background.
1. Cut 1, 4 ½ " by 5 ½ " long piece for the Kimono sleeves.
2. Cut 1, 4 1/2" by 5 1/2" long piece of Background.
3. Sew the Kimono sleeves to the background across the 4 1/2" edge, making a 10 1/2" long piece. Press the seam allowance to the sleeve. Next, cut this new piece into two, 2 1/4" by 10 1/2" strips. Lay aside.
4. Cut 1, 3" wide by 2 3/4" long rectangle in background fabric.
5. Cut 2, 3" squares of Kimono fabric. Fold on diagonal and pin on to background piece from #4 so that the diagonals form the neckline and the right angle corners line up with the bottom and the right and left edges. The extra at the top will be lopped off and help form the Kimono shoulders when the blocks are joined. Hold this in place with pins.
6. Cut out 1, 3" wide by 1 1/2" deep Obi or sash fabric. Join this to the bottom of the Kimono top, sew and press seam to the Obi.
7. Now Cut out the Kimono skirt. This is a 3" wide by 7 1/4" long slice. Add this to the Obi bottom. Press the seam allowance in towards the Obi.
8. Now add the Kimono Arms to the 3" dress column, one on each side. Press these seam allowances to the Kimono to lift the Kimono away from the background.
Your 6 1/2" by 10 1/2" long, " Spring Kimono" is ready for the March spring parade, just in time for the cherry blossom festival.
***This is a measure cut and piece block.
Please note that in this block the sleeves and the dress are two different fabrics, something that is not true with a regular kimono. This difference will allow you to see the separate components of the block rather than have them all blend into a blob like they did in the first prototype.
| Return to Block of the
Return to Block of the Month Archive
(Announcements ) (Gallery ) (Preemie Quilts ) (Block of the Month ) (Quilt Shows ) (Links ) ( Site Map ) (Home Page )